Ingredients for salad
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 beets (red, golden or a combination), peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 head of kale (either curly or lacinato), chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed (or buy the pre-rinsed quinoa)
Ingredients for horseradish dressing
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium vegetable (or low sodium chicken) stock
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice sweet potato into 1/2-inch cubes. Peel fresh beets (can use red, golden or a combination — please be careful with red beets because their color bleeds) and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss on a baking sheet with extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, tossing occasionally until the vegetables are soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, blanch the kale to reduce bitterness and soften the greens. To blanch, stir the chopped kale leaves into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain, then run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Rinse 1/2 cup of quinoa (skip this step if you bought pre-rinsed quinoa), put the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup of water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, turn the flame down to a low heat, cover the pot, and let the quinoa simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Put all ingredients for horseradish dressing in a container, put the lid on, and shake vigorously to combine. You can also use a blender, if preferred.
- Combine the cooked vegetables and quinoa with the horseradish dressing. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.