Ingredients for salad
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 beets (red, golden or a combination), peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 head of kale (either curly or lacinato), chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed (or buy the pre-rinsed quinoa)
Ingredients for horseradish dressing
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium vegetable (or low sodium chicken) stock
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice sweet potato into 1/2-inch cubes. Peel fresh beets (can use red, golden or a combination — please be careful with red beets because their color bleeds) and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss on a baking sheet with extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, tossing occasionally until the vegetables are soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, blanch the kale to reduce bitterness and soften the greens. To blanch, stir the chopped kale leaves into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain, then run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Rinse 1/2 cup of quinoa (skip this step if you bought pre-rinsed quinoa), put the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup of water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, turn the flame down to a low heat, cover the pot, and let the quinoa simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Put all ingredients for horseradish dressing in a container, put the lid on, and shake vigorously to combine. You can also use a blender, if preferred.
- Combine the cooked vegetables and quinoa with the horseradish dressing. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp. flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 large avocado
- a piece of turmeric root (or turmeric powder)
- sea salt
- coriander leaves (optional)
- First, prepare the quinoa. Usually, you won’t need to rinse it under cold water, as it has already been washed during the manufacturing process.
- Place the quinoa in a pan, and then add 1 cup warm water and half a teaspoon sea salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about ten minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Steam the broccoli for 3 to 5 minutes only, in order to get the most of its nutrients.
- In a food processor, blend together almonds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds for a few seconds.
- Peel and dice the avocado. Now combine the cooked quinoa together with the almonds and seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, and broccoli. Serve half of the salad on each plate and top with the diced avocado, some grated turmeric (or a pinch of turmeric powder) and a few coriander leaves, if using. Enjoy your lunch!